Thomas Jefferson visited me in a poem:
I almost didn't know'm.
He asked me how things were these days,
But I couldn't think of the right words to say,
So I decided to just show'm.
After all, since we're in a poem,
Travels are just turns of phrase.

We walked down a road, and saw a vet'ran
Finding a meal in a garbage bin.

We traveled to the once great plains
And to the Mississippi's now dark veins.

We flew high above our greatest cities
And inside tumors, itty-bitty,
And they looked the fucking same.

We sat on my couch and watched TV
After a while he said to me
You know, in my day, I fucked some slaves
But nothing then was this depraved.

I asked if he'd like to see a show,
And he checked his sun dial said, you know
It's really time for me to go.
So he clicked his heels and off he flew
Saying you know, I pity you.

"We hold these truths to be self evident..."
I sit and wonder where those words went.

No comments:

Post a Comment